Monday, April 25, 2011

Rebecca Howe to Sexy Muppet: The Journey of Kirstie Alley

I'm not entirely psyched that I'm about to comment on Dancing With The Stars, but it is positively mandatory.

To begin, one thing needs to be established. On the Cheers spectrum, I am a staunch Diane-ist. If it were to be a campaign, I'd want to run it, and the slogan would be "Shelley Long Can Do No Wrong". That said, Kirstie Alley's portrayal of Rebecca Howe was fabulous. Girlfriend has legitimate chops.

Cut to her current position in pop culture. She's a punchline, a ready-made fat joke, a caricature. Instead of presenting herself as a comedienne, she's a clown. And instead of a wicked hot woman, she's Miss Piggy in spandex and suntan tights. Why!?

In other news, 1) BFF Katie has handed me a true breakthrough in my quest to not be a hoarder. There are 7 paper grocery bags full of notes, cards, and sundry pieces of mail-- and I'm not even done yet. I'm not stopping until I rid my bedroom and personal effects of any vestige of bullshit. It helps that I can get rid of anything from my ten-plus years of undergradness! One thing that I've been keeping in mind is that I don't need pieces and pieces of memorabilia; some events have their own souvenirs built in. For example, I don't need all of my friends' wedding invitations; the best souvenirs from these weddings are the actually marriages themselves. I don't need every piece of mail that BFF Molly sent me during our college days; the best souvenir is our friendship lasting and growing despite trials and traumas. As I told ATL Laura, my ridiculous Rain Man-esque memory is its own sort of scrapbook. 2) BFF Katie is done with medical school-- she just needs to gradumacate, and she'll have her varsity letter in doctoring. 3) My ongoing job-searching is indicating that I need to learn some techie stuff-- lots of acronyms and clicks and secret codes. ATL Andy and Bro-Joe are probably going to get a lot of phone calls from me.

My current plan for watching the royal wedding involves curry, shandies, and a fascinator. Who's in?

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud!! Keep at it! next time I am home I expect your room to be something out of the Container Store catalog. Unlikely but, a girl can dream can't she?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment-- I appreciate the support and feedback, and I encourage a dialogue between the different people who've been following this from the beginning.