Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baltimore via DKM's palate [ORIGIN: early October 2011]

I took a long break from the blog game to spend my summer in Baltimore, MD. What a fantastic experience! I'd be remiss if I didn't take a second to give credit to the places that added a little extra awesomeness:

Joe Squared
Try whatever risotto they have as a special that week-- the last week I was in town, they had one with coppa and asparagus. It is the 2nd most delicious thing I ate the entire summer. For readers with whom I've never had a conversation about food, that might seem like empty praise. What if I was one of those assholes that only eats iceberg lettuce and Bud Light and WonderBread? What if I really don't know what constitutes good food? If that's your opinion, then get in touch with me, take me out to a legit restaurant, and perhaps I can demonstrate my good-food bona fides. Or you can just take my word for it.

Joss
I like taking my corn-fed, Midwestern palate on uncertain cultural journeys. I like food that is not easily pronounced. That said, I haven't done enough to explore Japanese flavors and techniques; it's black spot on my record. I went to Joss with some beloved friends and started a new love affair with sushi. And holy shit-- Kobe beef.

Iggie's
Try the Cipolla. Thank me later.

Pitango
This is right in the heart of Fell's Point, and it made for a wonderful place to grab something sweet at the end of a day and walk around a bit. I have great memories of eating insane gelato with two of my Baltimore siblings, Calvin and Monike. I miss them daily; I miss Pitango weekly.

Charmington's
Try the Turkey Powerhouse-- but ask them to use bacon instead of turkey because bacon is always better than turkey.

Eddie's
Liz Lemon, mother of us all, once told Jack Donaghy that she believed that what everyone really wants is just to eat a good sandwich in peace. She's not too far off-base. Eddie's is a good place to get one of those sandwiches. Also, their location in Charles Village has a salad bar which was basically my only source of green vegetables for several days at a time.

Miguel's
Their take on grilled Caesar salad is legit. I haven't written enough on this blog about how much I like tequila, but I do. I drank a few things at Miguel's that involved tequila and I'm a happier woman for it.

Carma's Cafe [for some reason, I can't make this a hyperlink-- it can't be overstated how AWESOME I am at web-based miscellany]...but www.carmascafe.com
This is a little joint right near Johns Hopkins, and holy shit. Cold sesame noodles. A meatball sandwich called a "rocket" that is even better in its vegetarian permutation. Pink dalmatian cookies. Mexican Coke. I can't even.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment-- I appreciate the support and feedback, and I encourage a dialogue between the different people who've been following this from the beginning.